Cart
Member's Area

- - - - -

Problems with interpreting MindWave graph data

Old topic!
This is an old, inactive thread. Threads cannot be replied to after a long period of inactivity (usually 60 days since the last post).

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RichBosworth

RichBosworth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:05 PM

I have recently purchased and received today the Neurosky MindWave EEG device. I wanted to see how I responded to my most used session (the Study Focus session), so I downloaded a trial version of Mind Workstation and used its graphing functionality.

Unfortunately, I was very confused by the results. First of all, the graph did not seem to make a lot of sense. The session was only based on Beta frequencies, but my ratings for Delta and Theta were significantly higher than any of my Beta frequencies. This is shown in the image below. Is there any way to explain this? Is this normal?

Posted Image

Additionally, the low and high alpha frequencies seemed to directly reflect the beta frequencies. This is shown in the image below (I am sorry that it looks a bit cluttered). Equally, is there any way to explain this and is this normal?

Posted Image

Finally, looking at the beta frequencies, it does seem that there was an increase in beta activity from about 8 min, with this becoming more pronounced towards the end of the testing period. The shifts between high and low beta reflects the session (which switches between 14 Hz and 17 Hz every 3 min with a ramp in between).

Posted Image

I would appreciate it if you could help me with these issues, as I want to be able to get a good idea of whether MWS is worth the cost before the trial period is up!

Thanks,
Richard

Edited by RichBosworth, 30 November 2011 - 10:06 PM.

#2 Adam (admin)

Adam (admin)

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:56 PM

Delta will always be higher, as will Theta and usually Alpha. At least on the MindWave/MindSet devices. The reason is that as the frequency decreases, the amplitude increases.

Some devices have filters to help level things out, some don't.

The best way to interpret EEG data is to take a baseline measurement, figure out what your levels are, and then compare them to how they change after stimulation, biofeedback, etc.

Also keep in mind that NeuroSky is a one channel EEG and you're only reading one part of the brain. The best place to measure BWE is, in my experience, the crown of the head. That's why Joe recommends turning the Emotiv device around during use.
Facebook: "Like" us on Facebook, get a COUPON!

Follow us on Twitter! @Mind_Update

Company Blog: Mind Update

Old topic!
This is an old, inactive thread. Threads cannot be replied to after a long period of inactivity (usually 60 days since the last post).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users