Cart
Member's Area

- - - - -

Well...I bought Neurosky

Old topic!
This is an old, inactive thread. Threads cannot be replied to after a long period of inactivity (usually 60 days since the last post).

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 reckon

reckon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:53 AM

I couldn't stop myself from buying Neurosky's Mindwave...and this is after I bought emotiv's epoch. I just had to see what a $100 eeg device could do. And it arrived today. Still waiting on the epoch.

I am using it with Bioexplorer. I expected the sensor to be less sensitive and deliver less amplitude on the signal than my Pendant EEG...which is in fact the case. But as far as I can tell, it differentiates frequencies as expected and it works to drive MWS (with bioexplorer). I am very happy I decided to get it.

I am planning to use the Mindwave when I introduce clients to eeg-driven stimulation and neurofeedback and for that purpose I think it will work very well. I don't need a super-accurate amplitude reading for what I'm going to be doing with it.

And I must say, after having taken some time away from using MWS, I'm glad to be back. I've been running MWS eeg-driven sessions (actually using a "dis-entrainment" protocol based on Len Ochs' pre-LENS "Flexyx" device which is shockingly effective) and also using lightstone. This way, I'm able to graph HRV, GSR, Heart Rate, Dominant EEG Frequency and Amplitude, all in real time and am able to share the results immediately. My clients are loving it. I've also been doing sessions on co-workers at my facility and they are consistently blown-away. I'm grateful to Transparent for putting this software together...it's helping to change lives out here in the trenches.

#2 brewmasher

brewmasher

Technical Guru

• Volunteer Forum Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • Interests:Chi Kung, Tai Chi, Meditation, Gourmet Cooking, Cycling, Scuba Diving, and Brainwave Entrainment of course!

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:10 AM

I couldn't stop myself from buying Neurosky's Mindwave...and this is after I bought emotiv's epoch. I just had to see what a $100 eeg device could do. And it arrived today. Still waiting on the epoch.

I am using it with Bioexplorer. I expected the sensor to be less sensitive and deliver less amplitude on the signal than my Pendant EEG...which is in fact the case. But as far as I can tell, it differentiates frequencies as expected and it works to drive MWS (with bioexplorer). I am very happy I decided to get it.

I am planning to use the Mindwave when I introduce clients to eeg-driven stimulation and neurofeedback and for that purpose I think it will work very well. I don't need a super-accurate amplitude reading for what I'm going to be doing with it.

And I must say, after having taken some time away from using MWS, I'm glad to be back. I've been running MWS eeg-driven sessions (actually using a "dis-entrainment" protocol based on Len Ochs' pre-LENS "Flexyx" device which is shockingly effective) and also using lightstone. This way, I'm able to graph HRV, GSR, Heart Rate, Dominant EEG Frequency and Amplitude, all in real time and am able to share the results immediately. My clients are loving it. I've also been doing sessions on co-workers at my facility and they are consistently blown-away. I'm grateful to Transparent for putting this software together...it's helping to change lives out here in the trenches.

What do you think about the sensor placement? Have you experimented with wearing the headset differently to access different points?

I am about to purchase my own Mindwave. My Epoc is on the fritz, and honestly Emotiv's support is not the best in the world.
The above post may not necessarily reflect the views, opinions or policies of Transparent Corp.

#3 reckon

reckon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:09 PM

If I could choose placement for a one sensor device, it would certainly be CZ (top of head). But for my purposes with this device, I don't mind the forehead location, FP1...although you can move it around a bit on the forehead. I tried to put it on further up the scalp and didn't get great readings, but I didn't try for long...it may be possible. However I think hair is an issue, the sensor is metal and not as sensitive as clinical grade eeg electrodes.

My biggest complaint about the mindwave is that because I have a gigantic head it doesn't really fit me, but I can still make it work. I fits on my wife just fine and should on "normal" people. I'm a little concerned about the epoch in that regard.

More concerning is that fact that yours went on the fritz...and that their support isn't very good. I've had high hopes for the epoch but I'm a little worried now.

#4 brewmasher

brewmasher

Technical Guru

• PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • Interests:Chi Kung, Tai Chi, Meditation, Gourmet Cooking, Cycling, Scuba Diving, and Brainwave Entrainment of course!

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:23 PM

More concerning is that fact that yours went on the fritz...and that their support isn't very good. I've had high hopes for the epoch but I'm a little worried now.

After months of problem free use, without warning the control sensors show red, and all others black. I found wiggling the sensor arms around a bit got them to work for a little while, but not for long. The unit suffered no trauma and still looks brand new.

I opened a support ticket on 11/2. It seems to take a week to get a reply. I still have not received any instruction on returning, warranty, or repair. While they're not the best, I have dealt with worse.
The above post may not necessarily reflect the views, opinions or policies of Transparent Corp.

#5 reckon

reckon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:29 PM

That doesn't sound good. I realize that I stupidly didn't even check the warranty/return policy before I ordered the Epoch. It's been so long since I've purchased something that I got burned on in that way. Well I guess all I can do is keep my fingers crossed. I'm thinking at some point in the next few years someone's going to come up with a relatively inexpensive, clinical-grade 20 location cap that doesn't take 40 minutes to put on or gel. We'll have to make due in the meantime.

#6 brewmasher

brewmasher

Technical Guru

• PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:11 PM

So, with Bioexplorer you can do EEG driven sessions and graph dominant frequency with the Neurosky? Might seem counterproductive to purchase a $425 program to get a $100 device to do EEG driving, but I guess if you already have the software your in luck.

#7 reckon

reckon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:05 PM

So, with Bioexplorer you can do EEG driven sessions and graph dominant frequency with the Neurosky? Might seem counterproductive to purchase a $425 program to get a $100 device to do EEG driving, but I guess if you already have the software your in luck.

Yes, I am using Bioexplorer with the Neurosky. And it does work. However, I don't plan to use the Neurosky much...I'm mainly going to use it as a "friendly" way to introduce clients to neurofeedback and eeg-driven AVS. For this it works well. However, the level of detail of the signal and subsequent analysis, not to mention limited placement options, certainly make me reach for my pendant more often. I'm hoping the epoch sensors provide better detail than the Neurosky. If not I will be dissappointed. But don't get me wrong...EEG driving is possible with bioexplorer and neurosky, just not at the level of other eeg machines.

I agree, buying bioexplorer just to use it with neurosky doesn't make sense...

#8 RichBosworth

RichBosworth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:27 PM

Hi,

So, what kind of quality data will you get with NeuroSky? I've just bought one, and am going to be using it for Bio-optimisation with NP3. Do you think it will work well for this purpose, or do you think it won't? Equally, will the data obtained from the EEG (if 'false' or 'inaccurate') actually make the 'optimized' sessions worse?

Thanks,
Rich

Old topic!
This is an old, inactive thread. Threads cannot be replied to after a long period of inactivity (usually 60 days since the last post).

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)