Cart
Member's Area

"state" training regimen - for what purpose?

Old topic!
This is an old, inactive thread. Threads cannot be replied to after a long period of inactivity (usually 60 days since the last post).

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 adriancox

adriancox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:yoga, NLP, hypnosis

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:47 AM

Hello all,
I am a new owner of Mindworkstation and enjoying it immensely. At this point I am trying different sessions
that come with the NP3 and the mindworkstation, just playing with which ones appeal.

The thing is, that my sampling is rather haphazard and when I looked through the forums so far,
I haven't been able to find routines that describe length of time to use a session.

Is the idea to use artificial means (BWE) to enter into a state, introduce that state to oneself and then have the ability to go
into that state through other means?

Or, is it that taking the brain to various states is a kind of exercise that stretches capability or nourishes
under used frequencies?

While the phenomena of trance-y experience is certainly pleasurable I haven't detected lasting changes, but then,
I haven't been consistent with any particular session type.

I am intrigued by the studies that show that BWE makes impacts upon people for various conditions (ADD, etc)
but I have failed to find the specific amounts, for how long each day, for how many weeks/months, and do
the results continue through time if BWE is not continued?

I'd love to hear your experiences and suggestions, official or otherwise!

Thanks! Adrian[/font][/font]
[/size]

#2 waverider

waverider

Volunteer Forum Support

• Volunteer Forum Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:59 PM

There aren't any hard and fast rules. IF you're trying to alleviate a condition such as ADD, do it until you notice improvement and then continue with a lesser schedule. If you're doing it to reach states of mind, do it until you feel you can enter them without entrainment. As far as a daily schedule, just don't do it to the point it causes negative effects or discomfort. And, if you're trying to achieve a specific goal, doing many different, possibly conflicting, sessions isn't going to be helpful, nor is jumping around to different sessions every day.
Disclaimer: being volunteer forum support in no way makes me an expert, and my replies should be viewed with the same skepticism as anybody else on this forum.

#3 brewmasher

brewmasher

Technical Guru

• PipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts
  • Interests:Chi Kung, Tai Chi, Meditation, Gourmet Cooking, Cycling, Scuba Diving, and Brainwave Entrainment of course!

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:57 PM

[size="6"][size="5"]
I haven't been able to find routines that describe length of time to use a session.

If you mean how many times you should do a session, just like Waverider said. If you mean how long a session should be, it takes on different concerns. The default length is good measure, but you can scale session length to fit your schedule with in reason. Alpha and beta sessions can be scaled as short as 10 minutes as they are easily achieved. Theta, delta and gamma take longer. As you get more experienced, you can shorten the ramp time to give you more time in your target frequency, or to shorten the session itself.

Is the idea to use artificial means (BWE) to enter into a state, introduce that state to oneself and then have the ability to go
into that state through other means?

If this is your goal, I would recommend doing it in a logical progression, i.e. master going into an alpha state before attempting theta etc.

Or, is it that taking the brain to various states is a kind of exercise that stretches capability or nourishes
under used frequencies?

A side effect no matter what your BWE goals are.

While the phenomena of trance-y experience is certainly pleasurable I haven't detected lasting changes, but then,
I haven't been consistent with any particular session type.

While some respond faster, it can take some time. Certainly after a month of regular use, you should experience something. Usually for alpha-theta protocols you will notice being calmer, giving you more energy, and sleeping better, reducing the amount of time needed in bed.

I am intrigued by the studies that show that BWE makes impacts upon people for various conditions (ADD, etc)
but I have failed to find the specific amounts, for how long each day, for how many weeks/months, and do
the results continue through time if BWE is not continued?

Like Waverider said there is no hard fast rule. Myself, I was able to stop taking antidepressants and medication for RLS after only 2 months of daily use. Using the product I have made a lot of self discoveries, and now I know what triggers my depression and adjust my sessions accordingly. For instance I know that I am prone to SAD, so currently I am upping my beta and SMR training, and avoiding slower theta and delta sessions in anticipation to the changing seasons.
The above post may not necessarily reflect the views, opinions or policies of Transparent Corp.

#4 Jay_NOLA

Jay_NOLA

Advanced Member

• R&D Participants
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  • Interests:Psychology, Medicine, General Science, Celtic, Chinese, & Japanese History, Mythology, Creative Writing, Cartography, Biofeedback, Forensics, Skepticism, and a bunch of other things I didn't mention.

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:57 PM

If your talking about session length. How long should I make a session to reach a specific frequency. Some guidelines on session construntion are in the help files, on the forum, and can be gotten from looking at the sample sessions. If your trying to aim for example a low range than your session is most likely going to take some time.

If your asking as to how often I ought to use BWE that depends on what your trying to do. For some BWE if your looking at a particular study you'll often find in the study how long entrainment was done in each case. Rough guidlines on this do exist, but nothing concreate.

A long term effect if you have a good regime set up will start to show noticable resaults in time. Do note that you can do things to negate any gains the training may give you. Exaple doing alpha or theta sessions, but in your spare time listening to music or being in an environment that promotes an increase of beta waves.

Entering into any brain wave state isn't going to give and magical or mystical abilities. Companies do market BWE with all sort of false claims that it can be difficult to geet the wheat from the chaff into what is real science and what is pseudoscience.

See this link for example:

http://www.skepdic.com/alphawaves.html

One book I have written by the head of the biofeedback lab a Princeton was recomending alpha wave training for ADD/ADHD, and that is something you don't want to do.

A session may have a diffrent effect on an individual do to a wide range of issues. This often gets forgoten when you do read stuff on targeting specific brain waves.

For just about every positive quality that exists for entraining to a certain brainwave state exists, so do negative ones exist as well.

David Siever's book has a nice chart if I recall corecctly that shows this.

Discontiune BWE if you start to experience any negative side effects. If they do occur you can usually work around them by changing something.

So what do you want to use entrainment for is the question that you want to be thinking of.

#5 adriancox

adriancox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:51 AM

If this is your goal, I would recommend doing it in a logical progression, i.e. master going into an alpha state before attempting theta etc.

Thank you, illustrious ones for your thoughts and contributions! Has anyone here attempted to entrain to a frequency and then get to it through, say, meditation? Does repeated BWE exposure lead to a more natural conditioning into that state, by any means?

While some respond faster, it can take some time. Certainly after a month of regular use, you should experience something. Usually for alpha-theta protocols you will notice being calmer, giving you more energy, and sleeping better, reducing the amount of time needed in bed.

That is most certainly welcome. I don't have any particular hurdles (no ADD that I've noticed :))and I simply would like to improve memory and overall IQ. I know this is a multi-step process, as in, one must use the brain in new and challenging ways as well, however that extra nudge would be nice. I wouldn't mind super powers as mentioned of course, has anyone noticed, subjectively, an increase in intuition?

Gracias!

#6 brewmasher

brewmasher

Technical Guru

• PipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts
  • Interests:Chi Kung, Tai Chi, Meditation, Gourmet Cooking, Cycling, Scuba Diving, and Brainwave Entrainment of course!

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:48 PM

Thank you, illustrious ones for your thoughts and contributions! Has anyone here attempted to entrain to a frequency and then get to it through, say, meditation? Does repeated BWE exposure lead to a more natural conditioning into that state, by any means?

Absolutely! What originally attracted me to BWE was for meditation. While you won't see the Dali Lama wearing light goggles and headphones, I find nothing wrong with using technology to find a quicker more effective means to achieve a common goal. I find meditating naturally to be hit or miss- it is hard to control how deep you go without years or even decades of experience. With BWE, if I want to do a light meditation using visualizations, I pop in an alpha track. If I want to do a transcending deep meditation, I select a theta session.

Start using alpha sessions. Simply listen to the track while practicing your preferred meditation technique. Take mental notes on how the experience feels, how relaxed you are, how your breathing slows, and your inner awareness. Whenever you like, try to reproduce this without BWE. When you can reach an alpha state repetitively on your own, work in a few theta sessions. When you know what it feels like to be in a theta state, try it on your own. This method will have you meditating like a zen monk in no time!

I simply would like to improve memory and overall IQ. I know this is a multi-step process, as in, one must use the brain in new and challenging ways as well, however that extra nudge would be nice. I wouldn't mind super powers as mentioned of course, has anyone noticed, subjectively, an increase in intuition

Boosting cognitive function uses a beta protocol. Doing alpha/ theta training immediately after beta training pretty much cancels each other out. You can do your beta training in the morning, and your alpha/theta at night, or alternate days. If you are really serious about boosting I.Q. I would avoid theta until your goals are met.

While I wouldn't call it "super powers" I have learned to trust my gut instinct more. Some things just feel right, and others give you a bad feeling.
The above post may not necessarily reflect the views, opinions or policies of Transparent Corp.

#7 adriancox

adriancox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:09 PM

With BWE, if I want to do a light meditation using visualizations, I pop in an alpha track. If I want to do a transcending deep meditation, I select a theta session.

Huh. I would have thought so too, that is Alpha for visualizing but then I read this: http://www.skepdic.com/alphawaves.html which, in case you haven't read it yet, says that alpha is indicated of no visual processing. If that is the case, what state can we be relaxed in and have visual processing?

Boosting cognitive function uses a beta protocol. Doing alpha/ theta training immediately after beta training pretty much cancels each other out. You can do your beta training in the morning, and your alpha/theta at night, or alternate days. If you are really serious about boosting I.Q. I would avoid theta until your goals are met.

That makes sense. Beta for cognitive function... OK, and how about Gamma in this regard?

The dialogue much appreciated!

#8 brewmasher

brewmasher

Technical Guru

• PipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:41 PM

Huh. I would have thought so too, that is Alpha for visualizing but then I read this: http://www.skepdic.com/alphawaves.html which, in case you haven't read it yet, says that alpha is indicated of no visual processing. If that is the case, what state can we be relaxed in and have visual processing?

The "visualizations" of which I speak are using the mind's eye. It is true that as soon as you close your eyes, the brain starts pumping out alpha waves. For meditation purposes, your eyes are closed, you picture yourself in the third person floating in the sky being filled with healing, loving white light or what ever you meditation practice dictates. You are not using any visual processing per say, because your eyes are closed. You are however using enough of your brain to prevent it from entering a theta state, which is why alpha is used for such meditations.

That makes sense. Beta for cognitive function... OK, and how about Gamma in this regard?

Replace your beta session with a gamma session 2 or 3 times a week. Don't over do gamma. A little goes a long way.

Old topic!
This is an old, inactive thread. Threads cannot be replied to after a long period of inactivity (usually 60 days since the last post).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users