Cart
Member's Area

8 general questions

Old topic!
This is an old, inactive thread. Threads cannot be replied to after a long period of inactivity (usually 60 days since the last post).

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 erans

erans

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:16 PM

I've used different entraining tapes for meditation and they've helped some, but now I want to customize tracks for my own needs and see what they can do.

I have some (surely stupid) questions and instead of starting lots of threads I just put them here, hope thats OK and I hope I'm clear in my questions...

1. could a hi-pass filter work so that lower tones only have the entraining effect? If so, will it be a part of future versions of BSS?

2. Are the monaural beats the same as whats called isochronic beats?

3. Should the tone base pitch follow in any special way the main track or could I place it at the low end and static for the whole session? What are the principals for the use of tone pitch? Will it resonate in special ways so that I have to have that in consideration?

4. I got a headache (ha ha!) listning to my first attempts because of the very distinct pulses. Now I've tried one where I got a bassy drone in the soundfile that kind of pulses but the higher frequencies don't move much. I can't really hear the pulses all the time but I can sort of sense them, I actually found it very relaxing but maybe it was placebo. What do you think? Does the pulses really need to be clearly audible?

5. Is it always a good Idea to ramp from higher frequencies(like 15hz or so) to the desired level or Could I get the same result getting to it directly? I usually sit for 15 - 20mins once or twice a day, would that be enough to get down to it? I mean if 6-8 minutes is required for the brain to sync fully, I don't want to waste time on slowly getting down the hill:)

6. If I would like some feedback on a track or share tracks I've created where should I post a link? (I have only so far been trying to create tracks using my own material and non copyrighted or creative commons attributed samples, so there shouldn't be any legal problem in posting them)

7. How do you analyze a pre-made entrainment track for the frequency arrangements? Are you using any special software?

8. How low is it possible to successfully entrain using BSS?

Peace

#2 waverider

waverider

Volunteer Forum Support

• Volunteer Forum Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:41 PM

I've used different entraining tapes for meditation and they've helped some, but now I want to customize tracks for my own needs and see what they can do.

I have some (surely stupid) questions and instead of starting lots of threads I just put them here, hope thats OK and I hope I'm clear in my questions...

1. could a hi-pass filter work so that lower tones only have the entraining effect? If so, will it be a part of future versions of BSS? Mind Work Station has this feature and it works well.

2. Are the monaural beats the same as whats called isochronic beats? No, you should re-read the documentation.

3. Should the tone base pitch follow in any special way the main track or could I place it at the low end and static for the whole session? What are the principals for the use of tone pitch? Will it resonate in special ways so that I have to have that in consideration? Some people try to match beat and pitch - give it a try Say pitch = 10x beat. It works better with isochronics because you are only dealing with one tone pitch instead of two. (Re-read that documentation). I've also set tone pitch to an acutual musical note, or used solfeggio freqs, etc. Lots to try out.

4. I got a headache (ha ha!) listning to my first attempts because of the very distinct pulses. Now I've tried one where I got a bassy drone in the soundfile that kind of pulses but the higher frequencies don't move much. I can't really hear the pulses all the time but I can sort of sense them, I actually found it very relaxing but maybe it was placebo. What do you think? Does the pulses really need to be clearly audible? Binaurals can be quite indistinct and they still work. Some products have tones on them you can't hear and still seem to entrain.

5. Is it always a good Idea to ramp from higher frequencies(like 15hz or so) to the desired level or Could I get the same result getting to it directly? I usually sit for 15 - 20mins once or twice a day, would that be enough to get down to it? I mean if 6-8 minutes is required for the brain to sync fully, I don't want to waste time on slowly getting down the hill:) I find starting at 15 way too high for going to theta or delta. I start at 10, as does holosync. It's an individual thing again, and also depends on your state of mind that day. Try it both ways and see for yourself.

6. If I would like some feedback on a track or share tracks I've created where should I post a link? (I have only so far been trying to create tracks using my own material and non copyrighted or creative commons attributed samples, so there shouldn't be any legal problem in posting them) Either upload to library or just upload to this forum. I think you'll get more feedback if you upload very brief sessions here rather than the library.

7. How do you analyze a pre-made entrainment track for the frequency arrangements? Are you using any special software? With BSS you would look at the track. With commercial CD's, there a binaural beat analyser freeware called BAVSA out there. It's take a bit of time to learn how to interpret the results.

8. How low is it possible to successfully entrain using BSS? You mean how low a beat? Holosync goes to .3 hz and has an effect. OTOH, entrainment theory, and Adam, say you can't entrain to below 4 hz because the pulses come at too slow a speed to produce the following response. If listening to .3 hz doesn't cause entrainment, it certainly does something that feels a whole lot like it.

Peace

Disclaimer: being volunteer forum support in no way makes me an expert, and my replies should be viewed with the same skepticism as anybody else on this forum.

#3 erans

erans

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 08:33 AM

Thanks Waverider, You are a rock! I can't find any info on isochronics in the BSS documentation only monaural. (You are using only NP2?)

Monaural beats are "two tones in the same ear" that creates a beat as opposed to binaural that is different tones in each ear, I'm I right? Is isochronics just beats of some sort, could I then create these in an another audio editor? Like 8 short sine pulses every second?

No matter how I experiment with tone base pitches, as long as I can experience the beat it will have entraining effects, is this right? The left/right voices will still be in the right ratio to create the correct beat?

Is it always a good idea to get up from the deep stages again at the end of a session, going from like delta to alpha the last minutes? Are commercial products created this way? When I tried this for my own session the only thing I got out of it was that I felt disturbed in the relaxing stage I got into, instead of feeling refreshed it seemed like an anticlimax.

Sorry if I sound stupid but I'm a bit confused here in the beginning.

#4 waverider

waverider

Volunteer Forum Support

• Volunteer Forum Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:40 PM

Thanks Waverider, You are a rock! I can't find any info on isochronics in the BSS documentation only monaural. (You are using only NP2?)

Monaural beats are "two tones in the same ear" that creates a beat as opposed to binaural that is different tones in each ear, I'm I right? Is isochronics just beats of some sort, could I then create these in an another audio editor? Like 8 short sine pulses every second? Isochronics are single tones that are pulsed on and off the requisite number of times - the pulse can be square, sine or what have you. Square is supposed to be most effective. Sounds horrible for theta or delta beats IMO, I prefer binaurals there, but YMMV.

No matter how I experiment with tone base pitches, as long as I can experience the beat it will have entraining effects, is this right? The left/right voices will still be in the right ratio to create the correct beat? Sure

Is it always a good idea to get up from the deep stages again at the end of a session, going from like delta to alpha the last minutes? Are commercial products created this way? When I tried this for my own session the only thing I got out of it was that I felt disturbed in the relaxing stage I got into, instead of feeling refreshed it seemed like an anticlimax. Holosync doesn't ramp up at the end, nor does my version of it (DTZM). I prefer not to ramp up at the end, use a beta session instead if I feel to groggy. Sometimes tho I like to keep that spacy feeling for a bit. YMMV.

Sorry if I sound stupid but I'm a bit confused here in the beginning. All good questions IMO, and the only way to learn is to ask them. Sometimes a 'stupid' question makes the supposed knowledgable person stop and realize there's still lots they don't know either. Or it advances knowledge as nobody thought to look at it from that perspective before.

Disclaimer: being volunteer forum support in no way makes me an expert, and my replies should be viewed with the same skepticism as anybody else on this forum.

#5 erans

erans

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:13 PM

Thanks man! Your the best!

Old topic!
This is an old, inactive thread. Threads cannot be replied to after a long period of inactivity (usually 60 days since the last post).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users