Cart
Member's Area

Entrainment and the public

Old topic!
This is an old, inactive thread. Threads cannot be replied to after a long period of inactivity (usually 60 days since the last post).

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ricin

Ricin

Relief

• R&D Participants
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:Psychology, music, piano playing, consciousness, straws of grass, germans in general, the characteristics of water, Dao, hypnosis, NLP.

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:57 PM

Am I the only one who is struck by how unknown BWE is outside these forums?

Today I started talking with two insomniacs in my job who seemed to have tried everything. I asked if they knew about BWE. They did not. After a simply explanation of the basics, they looked at me in a strange manner and burst of laughing, asking if I had already began drinking during work hours. I tried explaining that BWE is no magic, but they immediately labeled me a science fiction fan and left the subject.

Strange, I thought.

Yesterday I was reading the forums connected to hypnosis.com, mainly due to there being some experienced hypnotherapeuts there. I found this thread concerning Light & Sound devices. There, they compare the technology to pendulums, and claim that that only no-good hypnotherapeuts need the technology. Also they make remarks of how expensive it is.

Strange, I thought.

On the I-doser forums, concerning the program which claims to recreate drugs in a binaural form, myths are going ballistic. People say they experience open-eye hallucinations, sometimes after just seconds of entrainment. They pause the sessions, write about experiences, then get back again. Some listen to the binaural beats in mono, and still say they have good effect.

Strange, I thought.

There seems to be little information "out there" about BWE. The little there is, is often the results of Holosync advertising or the likes. Why is this so? If this technology is really all that great, why doesn't it gain more popularity? And if hypnotherapeuts (albeit quite close-minded therapeuts, from what I've read) laugh it off, who are then to bring the information out into the public consciousness?

Discuss.

Cheers.

#2 Jay_NOLA

Jay_NOLA

Advanced Member

• R&D Participants
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  • Interests:Psychology, Medicine, General Science, Celtic, Chinese, & Japanese History, Mythology, Creative Writing, Cartography, Biofeedback, Forensics, Skepticism, and a bunch of other things I didn't mention.

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:58 PM

Actually, BWE is widely known about. The problem is most people have some bad ideas of what it can do. They had a guy that does BWE stuff on Coast to Coast AM recently talking about how great BWE is, he was basically selling the expensive services that he offers and was making a lot of claims tht weren't true and were only true in certain circumstances. This guy was outrageously claiming that he could stop his heart with training, for eampe.
BWE CDs are commmon. Just look in the "New Age" section. The Gamma ones are being pushed now in the stores.
One big problem is that a lot of pseudoscience claims have been made about BWE and most websites that promote BWE use anecdotal evidence or mix in spiritual stuff with the product they sell. A large number of these products don't do anything and in some cases can actually cause harm. Example one website, has CDs that bring you down to a theta state and claim that you can access all kinds of psychic powers, talk to angels., etc. What ends up happening is the person is just being hypnotized and is getting all sorts of delusions programed into them. This is a problem right now in the psychotheraphy field lots of threapies that haven't been tested are being pushed on the public in self help books, and LGATs. Stuff is being rushed out with out proper scientific testing and controled studies done now. Example the Mozart Effect was dissproven, yet you still see people who believe it works and a whole industry of stuff has sprung up around a junk science.
Now in BWE case you have lots of hucksters selling BWE, but few of them are actually doing real scientific research, they just want to sell a product and don't care if the product works or if it has long term side effects.
Michael Hutchison mentions tis in an article.
Check out:
http://www.mindmachi...elHutchison.htm

It isn't about research and science it is about marketing to these guys and making a quick buck
BWE needs to be studied more for ADD/ADDH a book I have on science and pseuducience in clinical psycholgy has a whole chapter on ADD/ADDH in it and BWE is mentioned in it. The book mentions that BWE may work, but it needs to be tested fully in better controled studies. The studies that have been done that I've look at does show that it is very promissing. (I've had good succes with an ADD session I designed by the way.)
I've attached a couple of PDF's that you'll find interesting.

So I'd say that BWE does work, but one has to be awre of what they are doing with it. And all the bad BWE stuff out there I think is keeping people people away from it.

Am I the only one who is struck by how unknown BWE is outside these forums?

Today I started talking with two insomniacs in my job who seemed to have tried everything. I asked if they knew about BWE. They did not. After a simply explanation of the basics, they looked at me in a strange manner and burst of laughing, asking if I had already began drinking during work hours. I tried explaining that BWE is no magic, but they immediately labeled me a science fiction fan and left the subject.

Strange, I thought.

Yesterday I was reading the forums connected to hypnosis.com, mainly due to there being some experienced hypnotherapeuts there. I found this thread concerning Light & Sound devices. There, they compare the technology to pendulums, and claim that that only no-good hypnotherapeuts need the technology. Also they make remarks of how expensive it is.

Strange, I thought.

On the I-doser forums, concerning the program which claims to recreate drugs in a binaural form, myths are going ballistic. People say they experience open-eye hallucinations, sometimes after just seconds of entrainment. They pause the sessions, write about experiences, then get back again. Some listen to the binaural beats in mono, and still say they have good effect.

Strange, I thought.

There seems to be little information "out there" about BWE. The little there is, is often the results of Holosync advertising or the likes. Why is this so? If this technology is really all that great, why doesn't it gain more popularity? And if hypnotherapeuts (albeit quite close-minded therapeuts, from what I've read) laugh it off, who are then to bring the information out into the public consciousness?

Discuss.

Cheers.

Attached Files

#3 Ricin

Ricin

Relief

• R&D Participants
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:Psychology, music, piano playing, consciousness, straws of grass, germans in general, the characteristics of water, Dao, hypnosis, NLP.

Posted 18 August 2007 - 09:52 AM

Thanks for the PDFs, I'll make sure to read them.

I know personally that BWE is very effective, and I guess that makes me even more confused as to why it's not more popular.

Hutchinson had quite a story to tell. Quite ironic that he finally "awakened" through meditation, and not through any mind technology. But I guess as he says, all is one. Perhaps all ways lead to the same results. It is merely a question of which road to take.

#4 Jay_NOLA

Jay_NOLA

Advanced Member

• R&D Participants
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  • Interests:Psychology, Medicine, General Science, Celtic, Chinese, & Japanese History, Mythology, Creative Writing, Cartography, Biofeedback, Forensics, Skepticism, and a bunch of other things I didn't mention.

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:21 AM

I know it works too, but like I said you have a lot of companies that sell bad BWE stuff out there and you have some that sell good BWE stuff, but that don't tell you everthing about it or that claim it can do more than it can.

A couple of examples not mentioning anyone in particular.
One website may sell a CD that is designed for alpha-theata, and market it in away that anyone thinks you can relax with it, they won't tell you that this session isn't suitable with people with ADD/ADDH.
One website may sell CDs and all there CDs are basically the same, just the background music is diffrent or a minor change was made to each CD. And they'll charge you $50 and up for each CD for something that you could easily make with NP2Pro.
One website might make claims that the CD is letting you connect with your higher self, guardian angel, aliens, faeries, etc. in fact all they are doing are bring the person to a theta state and implanting suggestions into the person, if you have someone who is a fantasy prone personality or has some psychological problems tor has both they are making things worse. When you get into a hypnogotic state you tend to start to lucid dream. These dreams can see very real
A lot of websites sell BWE CDs and label them as spiritual so they don't have to wory about getting accused of quackery and make some real outrageous medical claims.
One website might make good BWE stuff, but have other stuff on their site that is junk science.
Diploma Mils are a big problem and even if the person has a degree from a legitamit source it doesn't mean that they are being honest. So you'll see lots of sites with people with guys who are doctors.
Some sites will mention or even show you a study, but the study had bad control or the expirameter "shoehorned" data to get a resault, etc.
So when you have this going on most people are going to be very leary of trying BWE.
The PDFs will clue you in on some myths, etc. that have emerged about the brain, etc..

Thanks for the PDFs, I'll make sure to read them.

I know personally that BWE is very effective, and I guess that makes me even more confused as to why it's not more popular.

Hutchinson had quite a story to tell. Quite ironic that he finally "awakened" through meditation, and not through any mind technology. But I guess as he says, all is one. Perhaps all ways lead to the same results. It is merely a question of which road to take.

#5 Inedible

Inedible

Advanced Member

• Members 2
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:42 PM

Although I don't get accused of drinking, the response has been negative as well every time I try to introduce someone to brainwave entrainment. My best results so far come from just getting someone to try a CD and explaining later how it works. Usually the person will admit that it works but will refuse to continue to use it anyway, because it is just too weird.

Old topic!
This is an old, inactive thread. Threads cannot be replied to after a long period of inactivity (usually 60 days since the last post).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users